Party Walls Advice

Building Owners:

What are your obligations as the Building Owner?

To ensure that your work stays within the law, as the Building Owner, you should:

  1. Check whether the Party Wall etc Act 1996 applies to your project. We offer a free initial consultation to review your plans and to identify what notices may be needed.
  2. Talk to your neighbours early, before serving Notice about your work. Keep your Adjoining Owners (neighbours) informed about your plans.
  3. Make sure your Notice is served properly, or else it will be invalid
  4. Serve the Notices within plenty of time
  5. Don't be tempted to start work until you have an agreement / Party Wall Award in place.
  • We can help you identify exactly which neighbouring properties fall within the scope of the Party Wall etc. Act.
  • We can prepare and serve the party wall notices on your behalf.
  • We can prepare and agree a party wall award, (sometimes also referred to as a party wall agreement).
  • We can produce a schedule of the condition of the neighbouring properties, to ensure that you are not held responsible for any pre-existing defects.

Adjoining Owners:

What should I do if I have been served with a party wall notice?

Don't panic! You have 14 days to respond and may be able to extend this period if you agree this with the Building Owner.

Discuss the notices with your neighbour and with us. We will give free advice on your options and be able to explain what the works involve and the degree of risk to your property.

Many Adjoining Owners worry that their property will be damaged by the building works.

  • We can advise you of your rights under the Party Wall etc Act and suggest how you may wish to respond.
  • Act as your surveyor to ensure all controls are in place to minimise the risk of damage to your property.
  • Agree a condition survey of your property and identify any damage once works are complete
  • Note, under the Act, the Building Owner is required to pay our fees as long as these are reasonable